Friday, August 7, 2009

Free Range Pianos


A hop, skip and a jump (and a 30 minute wait behind a stuck train) brought me to Pompanuck Farm in Cambridge, NY. You MUST find an opportunity to visit there! I knew about it from a friend's wedding, and they have organic produce, free range chickens, free range pianos (!) a retreat center, Yoga classes, childrens' camp, theater programs, a Yurt, camping, a music series and a completely sustainable existence on the land. It was lucky timing because the evening of my concert was the night before several jazz musicians were beginning a week-long retreat at Pompanuck. Therefore, jazz pianist/composer Art Lande and his wife, vocalist/improvisor/occupational therapist Aubrey were in attendence. I met Art several years back at a Michael Cain concert and spent more time with him at a piano get-together at Erik Deutch's house. It was wonderful to know he was in the audience, and he was kind enough to introduce me before I took the stage. I played two long sets, including many songs I rarely perform such as, "Midtown," "One More Time in the Air," and "If You Leave Me." After a cheerful reception with many people from the surrounding area, I holed up in my room at the meditation space and slept soundly next to a copy of Tao te Ching. It was nearly impossible to tear myself away from all of the jazzers round the table the next morning, after we indulged in blueberry pancakes with homemade yogurt. Special thanks to Scott and Lisa for making this event possible, and it sounds like I will be performing there in-the-round on one of their upcoming songwriter nights. Stayed tuned, folks in Bennington, VT (it's only 20 min away).

No comments:

Post a Comment